Education and qualifications
2013 – Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM), Project Management Institute
2007-2010 – Aberystwyth University, BSc Countryside Conservation (honours, 1stclass). Honours dissertation: ‘Values of the environment in Kahua, the Solomon Islands and the importance of deliberation in valuing ecosystem services in developing countries’.
2006 –Kingston Maurward College, NVQ (Level 3) Sustainable Land Use and Permaculture Design
2018 – now – Senior Lecturer in Deliberative Ecological Economics, Environment Department, University of York.
Jan 2012 – now – Environmental research consultant, Ecologos Consulting (self-employed)
2014 – 2018 – Principal Investigator and lecturer, Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS)
2014 – 2018 – Visiting lecturer, University of Leicester (Geography)
2013 – 2018 – Visiting lecturer, University of Edinburgh (Geography) and Scottish Rural University College (SRUC)
2012 – 2014 Project manager & PI UK National Ecosystem Assessment follow-on, University of Aberdeen (Biological & Environmental Sciences)
2012 – 2013 – Visiting lecturer, University of St Andrews (Geography)
2011 – 2012 – Research assistant & project manager, University of St Andrews (Geography)
2010 –2012 – Teaching assistant, University of Aberdeen (Biological Sciences)
2006-2010 – Founder and general manager, Wild Earth Foundation, Utrecht (Netherlands)
2004-2006– Campaign Researcher, ‘Ekster en de Olifant’ Documentation Centre for Indigenous People, Wageningen (Netherlands)
1998-1999 – Systems developer, Countryside Management Utrecht (Netherlands)
Honorary and elected positions
- 2018 – now – Board member, International Society for Ecological Economics
- 2015 – now – Honorary Fellow, University of Edinburgh (Geosciences)
- 2012 – now – Board member and Chair of Publications, European Society for Ecological Economics
- 2014 – 2017 – Adjunct lecturer, University of New England, Australia (Business)
- 2011 – 2013 – Member of Senate, University of Aberdeen
Research projects and grants
- 2018-2021 PERICLES – Preserving Cultural Heritage of European Coasts. EU H2020 €5m. Deputy Coordinator / Co-PI.
- 2018-2021 PALO – Participation in Long-Term Decision Making. Finnish Research Council €5m. Co-I.
- 2018 Diverse theoretical traditions for social values of nature. Valuing Nature Programme £10k. PI.
- 2017 Clyde Regional Marine Plan Public Dialogue. Scottish Natural Heritage. £25k. Lead consultant.
- 2017-2018 Marine Ecosystems Research Programme: Ecosystem Services Trade-offs and Indicators. NERC/Defra £1.2m. Socio-economic lead.
- 2017-2021 Ecosystem Services as Boundary Objects. £35k SAGES PhD studentship. Supervisor.
- 2016-2019 Valuing Nature Programme: Understanding ecosystem stocks and tipping points in UK Peatland. NERC £462k. Socio-economic lead.
- 2016-2018 ACIDCOAST: The governance of ocean acidification. Norwegian Research Council NOK 7.8m (±£700k). Work package lead.
- 2016-2020 Advancing methods for valuing cultural ecosystem services: A subjective well-being approach. £30k UHI PhD studentship. Principal supervisor.
- 2014-2017 MERIKA: Marine Energy Research Innovation & Knowledge Accelerator. EU FP7 €4m. Co-PI (note; co-lead project but did not contribute to proposal).
- 2015-2019 From Arran to Arnavon –Dynamics of ecosystem service trade-offs and trajectories of environmental change of community based Marine Protected Areas. PhD studentship. NERC £75k. Lead supervisor.
- 2015-2016 Collective learning journeys to build capacity for strategic action to enhance resilience in climate disadvantaged communities. Joseph Rowntree Foundation £100k. Co-I.
- 2015 Euromarine Scenarios Workshop funding – €30k European Marine Board. Co-I.
- 2014-2015 CORPORATES: Cooperative Participatory Evaluation of Renewable Technologies on Ecosystem Services. NERC KE project £87k. Co-I.
- 2014 A participatory approach to implementing MCZ management. Marine Conservation Society £6k. Lead consultant.
- 2012-14 UK National Ecosystem Assessment follow on: Shared, cultural and plural values. NERC/EHRC/AHRC/Defra/Others. £264k (£650k full economic cost). PI.
- 2013-14 Deliberative monetary valuation of peatland restoration in the Peak District National Park. Moors for the Future £14k. PI. Lead consultant.
- 2012-13 The recreational and non-use value of UK MPAs for divers and sea anglers. Marine Conservation Society & Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation. £14k. Lead consultant.
- 2012 Restoration of lowland raised bogs in Scotland – Emissions savings and the implications of a changing climate on the lowland raised bog condition. IUCN / Scottish Wildlife Trust. £18k. Consultant.
- 2011-12 BRIDGE: bridging the gap between the supply of and demand for valuation evidence. NERC Valuing Nature Network. £50k. CoPI and project manager.
Postgraduate research supervision
|2017-2021||PhD, Aster de Vries Lentsch, “Novel methods for valuing ecosystem services as boundary objects for sustainability transformation”||U. Edinburgh|
|2016-2018||MSc, Isabella Impesi, “The impact of peatland ecosystem service tipping points on cultural values”||U. Edinburgh|
|2016-now||MSc, Seb O’Connor (awarded), “Finding the voice of the biotic community: deliberative valuation of marine policy changes on the West Coast of Scotland”||U. Edinburgh|
|2016-now||MSc, Jessica Savage (awarded), “UK fisheries policy post-brexit”||SAMS / U. St Andrews|
|2016-now||PhD, Sue Ranger, “Advancing methods for valuing cultural ecosystem services: A subjective well-being approach”||SAMS / UHI|
|2015-now||PhD, Jacob Ainscough, “Exploring the interface between ecosystem services and environmental governance in marine planning in Scotland”||SAMS / U. Edinburgh|
|2015-now||PhD, Lina Isacs, “Shared values: Challenging the boundaries of environmental economic valuation through deliberation”||SAMS / Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm.|
|2014-now||PhD, Lucy Greenhill, “Evaluating marine planning approaches as a means to achieve sustainable marine development”||SAMS / UHI|
|2012-2017||PhD (awarded), Derek Purdy,
“A cultural value for seagrass meadows in aquatic agricultural systems: Implications for aquaculture development projects”
|University of New England|
|2014-15||MSc (awarded), Elisavet Spanou, “Understanding the impacts of aquaculture and marine conservation on cultural ecosystem services: integrating subjective well-being approaches and hedonic pricing”||SAMS / U. St Andrews|
|2012-2014||PhD (awarded), Niels Jobstvogt, “Exploration of economic and ecological methods for the assessment of deep-sea and coastal ecosystem services” (informal supervision).||U. Aberdeen|
- 2015-now – Module leader, University of Leicester, MSc Sustainable Management of Natural Resources, Module: Environmental and Ecological Economics.
- 2015-now – Coordinator, SAMS, IDCORE Doctoral Summer School ‘Renewables and Society’.
- 2015-now – Lecturer, Scottish Rural University College, MSc Ecological Economics, modules: Environmental valuation, Dissertation.
- 2015-now – Lecturer, SAMS, MSc Sustainable Aquaculture, module: People and Policy.
- 2015 – Co-organiser, ‘Transformations’ summer school, European Society for Ecological Economics, Leeds.
- 2015 – Lecturer, SAMS, Marine Policy Masterclass (NERC advanced training course pilot).
- 2014-now – Lecturer & supervisor, SAMS, MSc Ecosystem Based Management, module: Marine Policy, Dissertation
- 2014-now – Lecturer & supervisor, University of Edinburgh, MSc Ecosystem Services and MSc Marine Systems and Policies, modules: Valuing Ecosystem Services, Marine Policy, Dissertation.
- 2012-2014 – Lecturer, University of Aberdeen, MSc module: Ecology and Society (joint to various MScs)
- 2014-now – Lecturer, SAMS BSc Marine Science, modules: Marine Resources, Marine Conservation, Dissertation.
- 2014-now – Lecturer, University of Leicester, BSc/BA Human Geography, Module: Contemporary Environmental Challenges
- 2011-2014 – Lecturer, University of Aberdeen, Modules: Sustainable International Development, Natural World, Global Conservation, Ecology & Environmental Science (joint to various BSc/BA/Scottish Master degrees).
- 2011-2013 – Lecturer, University of St Andrews, BSc Sustainable Development, Module: Sustainable Development Social and Economic Topics.
Editorships and review panels
- 2018 – now – Guest editor, Sustainablity Science
- 2015-2016 – Managing guest editor, Ecosystem Services
- Invited grant reviews: Horizon 2020 (invited multiple times both as expert evaluator and project monitor), NWO (Netherlands), FORMAS (Sweden), NRC (Norway), NERC, ESRC, EPSRC.
Prizes and awards
- Geographical Field Group award best geographical fieldwork (2012)
- Society for Conservation Biology European Spotlight prize for best student research (2011)
- European Society for Ecological Economics best student conference paper (2011).
- Aberystwyth University Stapledon prize for best student in biological, environmental and rural sciences (2010)
- Aberystwyth University Excellence Bursary (2007-2010)
- Royal Dutch Shell Netherlands, Student Excellence Award (1996)