Current appointments and activities
- Principal Investigator and Lecturer in Ecological Economics, Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS) (2014-now)
- Honorary Fellow, University of Edinburgh (2015-now)
- Adjunct lecturer in Economics, Business School, University of New England (Australia) (2014-2016)
- Visiting lecturer in Ecological Economics, University of Leicester (2014-now)
- Research consultant, EcoLogos Consultancy (2012-now)
- Board member and Chair of Publications Committee, European Society for Ecological Economics (2012-now)
Key research interests
Integration of monetary and non-monetary and approaches and analytical and deliberative approaches to policy and project appraisal and evaluation; deliberative and participatory evaluation approaches (incl. deliberative monetary valuation, multicriteria evaluation, citizens’ juries); the ecosystems approach and ecosystem services, with an emphasis on marine and cultural services; community-based conservation.
Experience in a wide range of economic, deliberative, participatory, and non-monetary valuation & appraisal methods. Certified project manager. Facilitation and deliberative/group process design. Stakeholder analysis. Psychometric analysis & psychometric scale design. Soft-systems modelling techniques. Action research.
Selected past appointments
- 2013-2015 Visiting lecturer in Ecological Economics, University of Edinburgh
- 2012-2014 Research project manager, University of Aberdeen
- 2012-2013 Visiting lecturer in environmental & ecological economics, University of St. Andrews
- 2011-2012 Research assistant in geography & project manager, University of St. Andrews
- 2010-2012 Postgraduate tutor, University of Aberdeen
- 2006-2010 Founder and director, Wild Earth Foundation, Utrecht, Netherlands
- 2004-2006 Campaigner on globalisation and indigenous rights issues, Ekster en de Olifant, Wageningen, Netherlands
- Seminary, One Spirit Interfaith Foundation (2015-now), training as interfaith minister.
- PhD in Ecological Economics, “Integrating monetary and non-monetary approaches to the assessment of shared, plural and cultural values of ecosystem services”, University of Aberdeen 2014, fully funded by NERC.
- BSc Countryside Conservation (honours, 1st), Aberystwyth University 2010, dissertation: “Environmental values in Kahua, Solomon Islands, and the importance of deliberation for valuing ecosystem services in developing countries”
- NVQ3 Sustainable Land Use, Kingston Maurward College, 2006
- Certified Associate in Project Management, Project Management Institute, 2013
- Certificate in Permaculture Design, Permaculture Association, 2006
Prizes and awards
- Geographical Field Group award best geographical fieldwork, 2012
- Society for Conservation Biology European Spotlight prize for best student research, 2011
- European Society for Ecological Economics best student conference paper, 2011
- Aberystwyth University Stapledon prize for best student in biological, environmental and rural sciences, 2010
- Aberystwyth University Excellence Bursary, 2007-2010
Selected projects & grants
- 2017-2018 Marine Ecosystems Research Programme, work package 3, ecosystem services values, trade-offs and marine ecosystem indicators (£1.2m, social-economic lead)
- 2016-2019 Valuing Nature Programme Peatland Tipping Points (£425k; work package lead)
- 2016-2019 ACIDCOAST: the Governance of Ocean Acidification. Norwegian Research Council (£700k; work package lead).
- 2014-2017 MERIKA: Marine Energy Research Innovation & Knowledge Accelerator. EU FP7 (€3.4m; Co-PI)
- 2015-2016 Collective learning journeys to build capacity for strategic action to enhance resilience in climate disadvantaged communities. Joseph Rowntree Foundation. (£100k; Co-I).
- 2014-2015 CORPORATES: Cooperative Participatory Evaluation of Renewable Technologies on Ecosystem Services. NERC BESS programme (£87k, Co-I).
- 2013-14 Deliberative monetary valuation of peatland restoration in the Peak District National Park. Moors for the Future (£14k; PI).
- 2012-14 National Ecosystem Assessment follow-on: Shared, cultural and plural values. NERC/EHRC/AHRC/Defra/Welsh Govt. (£264k; PI).
- 2012-13 The recreational and non-use value of UK MPAs for divers and sea anglers. Marine Conservation Society & Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation (£14k; PI).
- 2012-13 Restoration of lowland raised bogs in Scotland – Emissions savings and the implications of a changing climate on the lowland raised bog condition. IUCN / Scottish Wildlife Trust (18k; Co-I).
- 2011-12 Valuing Nature Network BRIDGE: bridging the gap between the supply of and demand for valuation evidence. NERC (£50k; Co-PI).
SAMS and University of the Highlands and Islands
- IDCORE summer school: Marine Renewables and Society (PhD), module leader
- Marine Policy Masterclass (PhD & Postdoc)
- Marine Resources: Environmental values (MSc Marine Ecosystem Based Management)
- Marine Conservation: Social science topics (BSc)
University of Leicester
- Ecological and environmental economics (MSc Sustainable Management of Natural Resources), module leader.
- Sustainable Development: Shared and cultural values of ecosystems (BSc Human Geography)
University of Edinburgh
- Deliberative and Non-Monetary Valuation (MSc Ecosystem Services & MSc Ecological Economics)
- Valuation in Developing Countries (MSc Ecosystem Services & MSc Ecological Economics)
Supervision and research students